Like any endeavor worth pursuing in life, it takes careful preparation to become an optometrist.
Students are at the heart of our mission.
Get involved in our thriving alumni community.
SCO is one of the nation's leading optometry schools.
Take time to recognize these significant achievements.
Enter a search request and press enter. Press Esc or the X to close.
During its 2017-2018 fiscal year, Southern College of Optometry’s clinical programs provided $1,697,691 in uncompensated optometric care in the Memphis community. Uncompensated care represents numerous outreach programs geared toward bringing eye care to the community, as well as care for uninsured or underinsured patients.
“This unparalleled access to care benefits the Memphis community and our students, who complete approximately 3,000 individual patient encounters by graduation,” said Dr. James Venable, vice president for clinical programs at SCO.
Approximately 80 percent of SCO’s uncompensated care came through professional services in one of the college’s clinical facilities, including services offered through collaborations with Church Health Center®, InfantSEE®, Baptist Outreach Programs® and others. The remaining 20 percent results from community-based services like education events and SCO’s School Screenings Program, which services area students.
“SCO and The Eye Center are exceptional educational and clinical institutions with the potential to significantly impact Memphis and beyond,” Venable said. “It underscores our commitment to our community and to growing our outreach efforts. Although we have nearly reached our limit, we can to grow this number with assistance from partners in our community.”