Southern College of Optometry participates in the centralized application services known as OptomCAS which begins accepting applications July 1, and SCO's application deadline is March 1 of each academic year. The OptomCAS application requires a $170 application fee. Each application submitted to a new school costs $70.
Since we process applications as we receive them and offer acceptances on a rolling admissions basis, we strongly encourage early application.
Application Requirements for SCO
For an applicant to receive consideration, all of the following must be received by SCO:
- The OptomCAS application and all supporting documents (which should be sent directly to OptomCAS)
1) Official transcripts from all previous colleges attended
2) Two letters of recommendation from specific professions:
- Pre-health advisor or natural science professor
- Doctor of Optometry with whom the candidate has worked or shadowed but who is not related to the candidate
- Optometry Admission Test (OAT)
The OAT measures general ability and comprehension of scientific information. All applicants are required to take the OAT no later than March 1 of the entering year for which they apply, however, we strongly recommend taking the test early in the application cycle. Any OAT score used for the admission process must be no more than two years old from the date the applicant submits the SCO supplemental application.
OAT scores must be sent directly to SCO from the OAT testing program. The OAT requires a $435 registration fee. Registration information for the exam may be found on the web site for the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry.
Admissions Process at SCO
Receiving the Application - After the application and all supporting documents have been received in the Office of Student Services, an initial review is completed by the admissions committee.
Selecting the Interview Candidates - Interview invitations are mailed to those candidates with competitive applications following the initial review.
Hosting the Interviews - SCO begins interviewing early September and continues through the end of March of each application cycle.
- Deciding on Admissions - Following the on-campus interview, SCO’s admissions committee will evaluate the candidates and decide on which students will be invited as part of the SCO family.
Please note that all pre-requisite courses must be completed before a student can begin classes at SCO. However, an application may be submitted prior to the completion of the required courses. If an applicant is in the process of completing a degree and/or pre-requisite courses, updated transcripts should be submitted to SCO after each semester or quarter.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure all documents are submitted and received by OptomCAS and the SCO Office of Student Services. Please call us at (800) 238-0180 or (901) 722-3224, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.